miércoles, 30 de diciembre de 2020

Czeslaw Milosz y Octavio Paz: To Raja Rao

 

TO RAJA RAO

 

Raja, I wish I knew

the cause of that malady.

 

For years I could not accept

the place I was in.

I felt I should be somewhere else.

 

A city, trees, human voices

lacked the quality of presence.

I would live by the hope of moving on.

 

Somewhere else there was a city of real presence,

of real trees and voices and friendship and love.

 

Link, if you wish, my peculiar case

(on the border of schizophrenia )

to the messianic hope

of my civilization.

 

Ill at ease in the tyranny, ill at ease in the republic,

in the one I longed for freedom, in the other for the end of corruption.

 

Building in my mind a permanent polis

for ever deprived of aimless bustle.

 

I learned at last to say: this is my home,

here, before the glowing coal of ocean sunsets,

on the shore which faces the shores of your Asia,

in a great republic, moderately corrupt.

 

Raja, this did not cure me

of my guilt and shame.

A shame of failing to be

what I should have been.

 

The image of myself

grows gigantic on the wall

and against it

my miserable shadow.

 

That's how I came to believe

in Original Sin

which is nothing but the first

victory of the ego.

 

Tormented by my ego, deluded by it

I give you, as you see, a ready argument.

 

I hear you saying that liberation is possible

and that Socratic wisdom

is identical with your guru's.

 

N o, Raja, I must start from what I am.

I am those monsters which visit my dreams

and reveal to me my hidden essence.

 

If I am sick, there is no proof whatsoever

that man is a healthy creature.

 

Greece had to lose, her pure consciousness

had to make our agony only more acute.

 

We needed God loving us in our weakness

and not in the glory of beatitude.

 

No help, Raja, my part is agony,

struggle, abjection , self-love and self-hate,

prayer for the Kingdom

and reading Pascal.

 

CZESLAW MILOSZ


CARTA A RAJA RAO

 

Raja Rao, cómo quisiera saber

la causa de esta enfermedad.

 

Por años no pude aceptar

que el sitio en que estaba era mi sitio.

En otra parte estaba mi lugar.

 

La ciudad, los árboles,

las voces de los hombres,

no eran, no estaban.

Vivía en un perpetuo irme.

 

En algún lado había una ciudad real,

árboles reales, voces, amistad, amor, presencias.

 

Atribuye, si quieres, este caso peculiar,

al borde de la esquizofrenia,

a la mesiánica esperanza

de mi civilización.

 

Infeliz bajo la tiranía,

infeliz en la república:

en una, suspiraba por la libertad,

en otra, por el fin de la corrupción.

 

Construía en mi alma una ciudad,

permanente, la prisa desterrada.

 

Al fin aprendí a decir: ésta es mi casa,

aquí, ante la lumbre del crepúsculo marino,

en esta orilla frente a la orilla de tu Asia,

en esta república moderadamente corrompida.

 

Raja, nada de esto me ha curado

de mi pecado, de mi vergüenza.

La vergüenza de no ser

aquel que pude ser.

 

La imagen de mi ser

crece gigantesca en el muro

y aplasta mi sombra miserable.

 

Por eso creo en el Pecado Original,

que no es nada sino la primera

victoria del yo.

 

Atormentado por el yo y por el engañado:

te doy, ya ves, un fácil argumento.

 

Te oí hablar de liberación:

idéntica a la de Sócrates

la sabiduría de tu gurú.

 

No, Raja, yo debo empezar

desde lo que soy.

Soy los monstruos que habitan mis sueños,

los monstruos que me enseñan quién soy yo.

 

Si estoy enfermo, ¿quién puede decir

que el hombre es una criatura sana?

 

Grecia tenía que perder, su pura inocencia

tenia que hacer más intensa nuestra agonía.

 

Necesitábamos a un Dios que nos amase,

no en la gloria de la beatitud: en nuestra flaqueza.

 

No hay alivio, Raja,

mi suerte es agonía y pelea,

abyección, amor y odio a mí mismo:

orar por el Reino y leer a Pascal.

Traducción de OCTAVIO PAZ