HOY
NADA me preguntéis, que nada he visto.
Del pájaro no sé, ni sé del canto.
Sólo en espejos de caliente llanto
La inútil sangre vi correr del Cristo.
No sé quién soy, ni sé para qué existo.
Crece ante mí la flora del espanto.
Y el temeroso paso que adelanto
Las losas pisa de un dolor previsto.
Cerradas puertas, negras torres mudas,
Cadáveres de niños y campanas.
Gesticular de euménides y dudas.
Muertas bajo un laurel las nueve hermanas.
Y mis manos ardientes y desnudas
Escribiendo al azar palabras vanas.
TODAY
ASK me nothing since nothing have I seen.
Of the bird and the song, I do not know.
In tear-stained mirrors could I only glean,
The blood of Christ in its useless flow.
I know not who I am, nor why I must exist.
The flora of fear appears before me again.
And the timorous step I cannot resist,
Moves on the flagstones of a foretold pain.
Closed doors, black towers unspeaking.
Corpses of children and of broken bells.
The grimaces of doubts and Eumenides.
Dead beneath the laurel the nine sisters are lying.
And my ardent and naked hands persist,
Haphazardly writing the words which are vain.
Translation by HUGO MANNING
Argentine Anthology of Modern Verse
Buenos Aires, 1942


