lunes, 30 de octubre de 2017

Ezra Pound y Carlos Viola Soto: Loa de Isolda

PRAISE OF YSOLT

In vain have I striven,
to teach my heart to bow;
In vain have I said to him
“There be many singers greater than thou.”

But his answer cometh, as winds and as lutany,
As a vague crying upon the night
That leaveth me no rest, saying ever,
“Song, a song.”

Their echoes play upon each other in the twilight
Seeking ever a song.
Lo, I am worn with travail
And the wandering of many roads hath made my eyes
As dark red circles filled with dust.
Yet there is a trembling upon me in the twilight,
And little red elf words crying, ‘”A song”,
Little grey elf words crying for a song,
Little brown leaf words crying, “A song”,
Little green leaf words crying for a song.
The words are as leaves, old brown leaves in the spring time
Blowing they know not whither, seeking a song.

White words as snow flakes but they are cold,
Moss words, lip words, words of slow streams.

In vain have I striven
to teach my soul to bow,
In vain have I pled with him:
“There be greater souls than thou.”

For in the morn of my years there came a woman
As moonlight calling,
As the moon calleth the tides,
“Song, a song.”
Wherefore I made her a song and she went from me
As the moon doth from the sea,
But still came the leaf words, little brown elf words
Stying “The soul sendeth us.”
“A song, a song!”
And in vain I cried unto them ”I have no song
For she I sang of hath gone from me.”

But my soul sent a woman, a woman of the wonder-folk,
A woman as fire upon the pine woods
Crying “Song, a song.”
As the flame crieth unto the sap.
My song was ablaze with her and she went from me
As flame leaveth the embers so went she unto new forests
And the words were with me
crying ever. '”Song, a song.”

And I '”I have no song”,
Till my soul sent a woman as the sun:
Yea as the sun calleth to the seed,
As the spring upon the bough
So is she that cometh, the song-drawer,
She that holdeth the wonder words within her eyes
The words, little elf words
that call ever unto me,
“Song, a song.”

ENVOI

In vain have I striven with my soul
to teach my soul to bow.
What soul boweth
while in his heart art thou?

EZRA POUNDPersonae (1908).

LOA DE ISOLDA

En vano he tratado de enseñarle
a mi corazón a reverenciar;
En vano he protestado
“Hay otros cantores más grandes que tú”.

Su respuesta viene, como el laúd o el viento,
Como un vago lamento nocturnal,
Que no me da tregua, reclamando:
“Una canción, una canción”.

Sus ecos se entrelazan en la tarde
Buscando sin cesar una canción.
Mis ojos, fatigados de caminos,
Son rojas cuencas, polvorientas y sombrías.
Y, sin embargo, algo aletea en la tarde sobre mí:
Rojos elfos-palabras gritando “una canción”,
Grises elfos-palabras reclamando una canción,
Grises palabras-hojas, diminutas, gritando “una canción”,
Verdes palabras-hojas, minúsculas, reclamando una canción.
Palabras como hojas, viejas hojas pardas en primavera
Ubicuas murmurando, buscando una canción.

Cándidas como níveos copos, pero gélidas
Palabras-musgo, palabras-labio, palabras de lento arroyo.

En vano he tratado de enseñarle
a mi alma a reverenciar;
En vano le he dicho, suplicante:
“Hay otras almas más grandes que tú”.

Porque en el amanecer de mi vida una mujer vino a mí
Pidiéndome, como un reclamo de luz lunar.
Como la luna convoca a las mareas,
“Una canción, una canción”.
Y compuse para ella una canción, mas se alejó de mí
Como la luna aléjase del mar,
Y las palabras hojas y elfos, diminutas,
Volvieron repitiendo: “El alma nos envía”.
“¡Una canción! ¡Una canción!”
En vano les grité: “No tengo ya canciones;
Aquella a quien cantaba me dejó”.

Mas el alma enviome una mujer, una mujer de fábula,
Una mujer como el fuego en un pinar
que clamaba: “¡Una canción, una canción!”
Como la llama gime ante la savia
Se inflamó mi canción por ella, mas se alejó de mí
Como la llama del rescoldo en busca de otros bosques
Y sólo me quedaron las palabras
sin pausa reclamando: “Una canción”.

Y yo: “No tengo ya canciones”.
Hasta que el alma me envió una mujer como el sol;
Sí, como el sol a la simiente
O la primavera a la rama,
Así vino, madre de los cantos,
Aquella en cuyos ojos anidan las prodigiosas palabras,
Las palabras, élficas, minúsculas palabras
sin cesar reclamándome:
“Una canción, una canción”.

En vano he tratado de enseñarle
a mi alma a reverenciar.
¿Qué alma se inclinaría
contigo en su corazón?


 Traducción de CARLOS VIOLA SOTO.
Ezra Pound, Antología poética, Buenos Aires, 1963.