lunes, 15 de octubre de 2018

Ezra Pound y Carlos Viola Soto: N.Y.



N.Y.

My City, my beloved, my white!
Ah, slender,
Listen! Listen to me, and I will breathe into thee a soul.
Delicately upon the reed, attend me!

Now do I know that I am mad,
For here are a million people surly with traffic;
This is no maid.
Neither could I play upon any reed if I had one.

My City, my beloved,
Thou art a maid with no breasts,
Thou art slender as a silver reed.
Listen to me, attend me!
And I will breathe into thee a soul,
And thou shalt live for ever.
Ripostes (1912).

N.Y.

¡Ciudad mía, amada, cándida! ¡Oh, esbelta, escucha!

¡Escúchame y te infundiré un alma!
¡Delicadamente. en la flauta. escúchame!

Sé que estoy loco,
Porque hay aquí un millón de personas enloquecidas por el tráfico,
Y ni eres doncella
Ni sabría yo tañer una flauta, aunque la tuviera.

Ciudad mía, amada,
Una doncella sin senos eres,
Esbelta como una flauta de plata.
¡Óyeme, escúchame!
Y te infundiré un alma
Y vivirás por siempre.

Traducción de CARLOS VIOLA SOTO.
Ezra Pound, Antología poética, Buenos Aires, 1963.